If you thought that decorating your bedroom was a tedious and difficult task, prepare to be proven wrong. Decorating a bedroom is really just as easy as decorating any other room in your home: you only need a little bit of creativity and thinking outside the box to come up with a unique design to perfectly suit your room.
Of course, not everybody can design a bedroom by themselves that easily. Sometimes, you may be stuck somewhere, unable to decide between a pattern, colour or design to go with. This would effectively halt your entire decoration project, which would lengthen the whole process by an unnecessary amount of time. At times like this, it might be a good idea to consult a few basic design principles to clear your doubts and move forward with your project:
- Decide on a Theme – Generally, a good designer will focus on a single theme or maybe a combination of a few themes whenever they try to style a room. Bedrooms aren’t exempt from this, which means that theme selection is one the few things you have to do well in advance before you even start with the decorating itself. You don’t have to go for something flashy: even a bedroom centred on a simple theme like nature can work very well indeed.
- Mix and Match Colours – Colours can be powerful allies when used in the correct manner. You could choose to go with a unitary colour theme to apply to your furniture and throw blankets or try to get a mixture of colours to blend with each other. Be careful not to go to wild, or the end result might become a little painful for your eyes.
- Make it Look Personal – Your bedroom is kind of like your own private space. This means that you are entitled to have a few personal objects of yours on display in various parts of the room. Again, they don’t have to be anything flashy: some photos, a few statues or a souvenir you are particularly fond of could make for some nice show pieces to display.
- Make Your Bedroom the Focal Point – Your bed will almost always be the largest single piece of furniture in your bedroom, which makes it the ideal choice to use as your focal point. To add some flair to it, consider investing some money to purchase a few throw pillows and some nice linen sheets with colourful patterns. Try to keep your bedroom in an orderly manner as much as you can, as it will be the point where anybody’s eyes will be diverted to when entering your bedroom.
- Buy a Comfortable Rug – A rug will not only add visual appeal to your room, but it will also help you get out of bed easily, knowing that there is a warm and soft rug just by the bedside, instead of the cold, hard floor you have recently been used to.